Finding an excellent snare drum doesn’t have to mean breaking the bank. Whether a beginner or an experienced drummer, having the right snare drum can drastically improve your sound! In this article, we will be reviewing some of the best cheap snare drums available this year. From innovative and creative designs to tonally pleasing tone woods, these top-of-the-line options are sure to provide every percussionist – from professional percussionists to just starting – with an outstanding experience that won’t break the bank!
7 Best cheap snare drums
From budget-friendly options for beginners to more advanced models for experienced drummers, there’s something for everyone on this list. So we’ve got you covered whether you’re just starting or looking to upgrade your current setup.
Ludwig Supralite Snare Drum
The Ludwig Supralite Snare Drum boasts a sleek, polished steel shell with a 1mm bead for a bright, cutting sound and wide mid-range overtones. It is equipped with chrome-plated brass tube lugs, 2.3mm chrome-plated triple flange hoops, brass snare wires, and an upgraded P88I throw-off and P33 butt-plate. This snare drum offers both high quality and versatility at an affordable price.
- 1mm steel shell
- Made of polished steel with chrome-plated brass lugs
- 2.3 mm triple-flanged
- Provide four different sizes: 14”x5.5”, 14”x6.5”, 14”x8” and 15”x5”
- A great option for the beginner drummer
- Many different sizes
- Steel shell provides great stick response
- Long-lasting snare
- Isn’t the best option for an experienced drummer
TAMA S.L.P. Big Black Steel Snare Drum
Tama’s S.L.P. Big Black Steel snare drum has gained popularity among drummers for its ability to produce a rich, full sound suitable for heavy genres such as hard rock, metal, and punk. Despite its large size, the steel shell also adds brightness to the tone, resulting in long sustain and a penetrating character that can cut through any mix. This snare drum is perfect for use in clubs, concerts, and recording, as it delivers a deep, brutal tone and sizzling overtones with each hit.
- Included triple-flanged 2.3 mm steel hoops
- Hi-tension lugs
- 20-strand Starclassic carbon steel snare wire
- Ideal for heavier styles of music
- Loud and aggressive
- Thinner straps help to obtain an optimum response
- Only one size
Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Snare Drum
The Yamaha Stage Custom Birch series includes mounted toms, floor toms, a bass drum, and this single Cranberry Red snare drum. It is a favorite among drummers of all levels due to its durability and superior durability quality. Yamaha is a well-respected brand in the industry for a good reason. With the versatility and reliability offered by this series, there may be no need for additional drums.
- All-Birch shell
- Ten Lugs for More Precise Tuning
- Hi-Gloss Lacquer Finish
- 45 Degree Bearing Edges
- The Cranberry Red color of this snare drum adds a unique style to any performance setting.
- Yamaha uses only high-quality materials to construct every Stage Custom Birch snare drum component.
- Great sound
- Not ideal for some genres
- Only one size
GRIFFIN Firecracker Snare Drum
This 10-inch diameter snare drum, also known as a firecracker or soprano snare drum, produces a higher tone than regular or piccolo snare drums. With its zebra wood finish, the Griffin popcorn snare drum adds sharp, high-pitched “cracks” to fills and accents.
The 100% poplar wood shell ensures a high volume with a rich, full tone, and the six tuning lugs provide a stable, high-quality sound. The snare drum throw-off allows for easy adjustment of the snares, and a drum key is included. Use this snare drum as a secondary snare to add variety and depth to your drumming.
- Deluxe snare throw off
- 100% poplar wood shell with 7.5 mm thickness
- 12 strands snare wires
- Glossy black hickory wrap
- Great sound
- The shell is reasonably thick
- No snare beds
- Lugs are a bit tighter than needed
Eastrock Snare Drum
The Eastrock snare drum is a great and affordable choice for beginners and semi-professional drummers. It is a common choice for introducing students to the drum set and practicing basic techniques. The drum’s responsive batter head and snares make it suitable for regular gigs, and it comes with a durable ten mil, one-ply coated film snare head.
The snare wires provide a good rock snare sound that resonates well with the drum’s poplar shell, which gives a warm, powerful timbre that is easy to adjust for most rock covers and the typical rock snare sound.
- Poplar shell
- Mylar batter head
- Steel rims and lug casing
- Steel tuner
- Size: 14in x 5.5in
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Suitable for basic rock snare drumming for beginners
- The pure head timbre and powerful
- The sound is somewhat generic
- The responsiveness is not ideal
- It can also be challenging to tune
Mendini Student Snare Drum
The 14-inch x 5.5-inch student snare drum is available in multiple color options and is suitable for beginners and students. It comes with a 30-inch snare stand with ten lugs, making it a standard size that is usable by people of all ages. The drum includes a rubber practice pad to mute the sound, sticks, a padded gig bag, and an adjustable neck strap. The drum has a starting price of USD 89.99.
- The 14-inch x 5.5-inch student snare drum
- Ten lugs
- An adjustable snare stand that can be set to a range of 25 to 30 inches
- Affordable and high-quality option
- It also has an extendable stand
- The quality of the gig bag could be improved.
Eastar Snare Drum
This drum set is suitable for both beginner practice and advanced learning. It includes everything you need, including a bag, drums, sticks, mute pads, and other accessories. The set features a ten-lug snare drum with tighter skin for a better snare tone. It also has an internal overtone felt that could be manually adjusted to reduce overtones. The stand has a maximum playing height of 43 inches / 110 cm, and the mute pads are effective. This set is a great choice if you need more than just a single snare drum.
- Has an internal overtone felt
- The extra high snare stand has a maximum playing height of 43 inches / 110cm
- The stand can be folded down and stored in the included snare bag for portability
- Good value for the price
- Mute pads are effective at reducing the volume of the drum
- Some users have suggested that the quality of the heads could be improved.
Most Frequently Ask Questions
How much should I spend on a snare drum?
A snare drum’s price can vary greatly depending on the brand, materials, and features. Entry-level snares can cost as little as $100, while high-end professional snares can cost $1,000 or more. When deciding how much to spend, keep your budget and what you need in a snare drum in mind. If you are just starting or have a limited budget, you may want to consider a less expensive option. As you progress and your needs become more specific, you should invest in a higher-quality snare drum with more features. Finally, the amount you should spend on a snare drum will be determined by your personal needs and financial situation.
Are Maple snare drums good?
Because of its warm, balanced tone and versatility, maple is a popular wood choice for snare drums. Maple snares have a full, round sound with a nice blend of lows, mids, and highs, making them suitable for various music genres. They also have good projection and a clear, defined tone, making them ideal for live performance. Furthermore, because maple is a solid and durable wood, a maple snare drum will likely last long. Due to their excellent sound quality and versatility, many drummers consider maple snares a good choice.
Finally, there are several best cheap snare drums options for drummers on a budget. While these snares may lack the bells and whistles of higher-end models, they provide good sound quality and durability at a reasonable price. Mendini, Eastrock, and Yamaha are some popular cheap snare drum brands to consider. Whatever your budget, there is a snare drum out there that will meet your needs and help you achieve the desired sound.