A handpan has become a very common piece of equipment. But it is relatively new. It came from the family of idiophones and was invented around the start of this century.
However, the idea was inspired by similar instruments that have been around for thousands of years.
An idiophone is a term that describes instruments that make sound by vibration. The whole instrument vibrates to make the sound. It does not have strings or membranes, and that is what makes it unique.
There are many names that describe the instrument. But ‘handpan’ is the most common one and the predominant title.
Other names include a hand drum, a hang, Pantam, space drum, and tongue drum. Technology has also made it possible to have an electric hand.
In this article, we are going to look at hand pan stands. A good stand will help you play the instrument with ease.
What is the Best Handpan Stand?
A handpan has the name hand because hands usually play it. The best position for playing it is sitting. But there are a few who prefer using it while standing.
Well, like any new musical instrument, it’s still open to discoveries. A few years ago, it was not possible to play a handpan while standing.
But today, thanks to a wide variety of handpan stands around; you can play them in any position. It is all about achieving great versatility. Also, you don’t need to be confused about putting drum accessories on your handpan stand.
So, are you looking for the best handpan stand? Perhaps the right question would be, how do you choose one?
Here are a few factors to consider.
The best handpan stand must be versatile. That means you should look for something that has an adjustable height.
With such a stand, you have the option of playing while standing or sitting on a stool. Luckily, there is a wide range of stands designed for this purpose.
Some snare drums are versatile enough to give you a good performance. You just need to know where to look.
• Dedicated handpan stand
As much as snare drum stands can be a good option, they may not be what you need. If you are a purist, go for something made specifically for a handpan.
Although you cannot expect much from its price, it’s still the best instrument to use.
Considering all these, the best handpan stand on the market is the Pantam Stand by Avios. This product has been an excellent choice with endorsements for many years.
When Can You Use a Stand for Handpan?
A handpan is mostly played in a sitting position. Ask many drummers how they use the instrument, and they will tell you “sitting.”
A study taken through several Facebook communities for handpan revealed that more than 90% of handpan players use it while sitting. Even with a wide view, most answer the same question with a similar answer.
Therefore, in most cases, the ratio of those who play while sitting to those standing is about 10:1.
These are overwhelming results. It shows that sitting is the best position.
So, why would we be talking about handpan stands? Well, a certain percentage of users do like to stand. They may not do so all the time, but at least some time.
So yes, you can play a handpan while standing. It all depends on personal preferences and what you want to achieve.
Besides, most stands are versatile enough to work in different positions. You can play while sitting on a stool.
Choosing the right handpan stand is very important. It must come with a sturdy surface for support.
Some stands can be used well in sitting positions. They are designed for low-level seating positions.
As such, consider height-adjustable stands for any purpose.
You can use a handpan stand-in:
• Concert and performance
• Playing at home
Whether you have grown fond of playing in a sitting position, standing in these conditions can be very useful.
What is the best equipment for recording handpan?
You can always use a handpan for a wide range of ideas. For instance, you may want to film a video, combine a few songs and release a professional-level album.
There are many reasons a drummer would be looking for the recording gear. The only issue is that they may not know exactly what they need.
Perhaps you have gone through all the options on the internet but still don’t have a clue.
Well, you don’t have to worry anymore.
Besides, you are not alone. It’s not easy to find the right equipment for recording a handpan.
But we are going to share some ideas here that should be good. Generally, it depends on your budget and what you want to achieve.
A basic configuration for recording your handpan could include:
• With a computer
• Without a computer
• Using a smartphone or tablet
Recording with a computer offers several advantages and disadvantages. On the positive side, you have more options and versatility. A computer can do actions like adding a click, a reverb, or building different tracks.
The biggest disadvantage of using a computer is that it requires a lot of time to set up. Also, the total cost might be higher.
Recording with the equipment allows transferring the sound of a handpan to the computer. It could be a microphone to a sound card to the computer.
There is something for everyone. And you need to decide which configuration to use, without a computer. Our recommendation is that you use a computer.
How to choose a microphone for the handpan?
There are a lot of theories and practices in sound recording. Hence, it’s not easy to find a general rule that applies to all recording situations.
Therefore, finding the right microphone for recording a handpan is very important. There are so many options on the market, which could make it even harder to choose.
Nevertheless, we will help you pick the right piece.
- Dynamic microphones. These are the most common mics. They are robust and with a simple design. It can handle a higher level of acoustic input without saturation. But it has very low sensitivity. It will work well for handpans when playing in difficult situations.
- Static mics. These are very sensitive and will pick the smallest sound of your playing. You can even place it further from yourself. But is fragile and requires phantom power. It will be perfect for recording a handpan at home, in-studio, and on stage.
- Ribbon Mic. This type is softer and more natural in sound. But, it is fragile and sensitive to moisture. Use it in the studio recording for your handpan.
- Contact mic. This option is great for use with a PA or sound system. It eliminates feedback issues. However, the sound will ‘dampen’ the tone of your handpan. But it will be great on stage in a group as it will ring from other instruments.
In conclusion, choose a microphone depending on your playing condition.
DIY Handpan Stands
If you don’t have the money to buy a new handpan, you can make your own. This should allow you to decorate it any way you want.
Even if you don’t have any skills, making a handpan stand is quite easy. Also, you get to save a lot of money.
There are two options:
1. Mushroom Stand
For this, you need:
• An old lampshade
• Headband or any covering
• A rubber rings
You need to make something similar to a rubber ring atop the handpan. This will stop slippage.
This stand looks really nice. Besides, you can cover it using a lampshade or anything that makes it attractive.
2. A handpan stand DIY
Using broom handles to create a stand is a very simple procedure. All you have to do is fix the handles through the middle, contain with string and cap with rubber for grip. You should already have a cheap and very functional stand.
In this case, you will need:
• Broom handles
• A drilling machine saw
• Drill and bits
• Nuts, bolts, and washer to fitting
• A string
• Caps from walking sticks
Try leaving the handles long enough until you have adjusted the right size. This allows you to take a little more off the broomstick.
You can make a simple sketch of the stand you need and apply the same to this.
Buying the right handpan stand is crucial. You need to pick something that meets your needs.
As stated above, versatility is very crucial in picking handpan stands. That is why a multi-position stand is could be the best option.
One such item is Metal Sounds multi-position stand. It comes with the following features:
• Adjustable. The stand comes with an adjustable tripod with a wide floor stand. It is quite stable and does not vibrate. It has a safety pin that locks the central column.
• Intended for use while standing. This piece is mainly designed for standing. But you can also use it in a standing position when in a maximum low position. It can hold any type of handpan.
• Ergonomic design. The stand comes with natural rubber heads for ergonomic playing. Use it for handstands with bottom notes, and it will perform well. The tubes feature an adjustment system and a great fineness that allows them to be used in 3 contact points.
• Rotate the instrument. This stand allows the user to rotate the instrument on itself. All you have to do is slightly loosen the head screw.
• Adjustable height
• Easy to fold and dismount
• It comes in a soft bag
• A bit costly
If you are looking to play a handpan while standing, consider Dii’s Elevation Handpan Stand. The stand is designed by David Beery and named by Ricky, one of their customers.
This product is a perfect piece to add to your collection. It comes with a tripod structure that one can use for height adjustment.
Hence, you can play it on uneven concrete or grass, and it will still hold. Rubber stoppers have been added to allow for full sustain. Besides, this means it will not leave scratches on your handpan.
When choosing the right handpan stand, it’s always good to consider versatility. And this is one of the most versatile stands on the market.
- Adjustable height. Elevation Handpan stand is easy to adjust and use in different positions. It comes with a tripod design for easy adjustment.
- Rubber stoppers. Sometimes handpan stands are too slippery. The handpan can easily slide and fall off. Dii’s Elevation Handpan is quite different. It comes with rubber stoppers that allow for full sustain. It also keeps the handpan safe from scratches.
- Durable. This one of the most durable handpans you will find out there. It’s made from durable material, making it a perfect product for those who require a strong stand.
- Excellent construction. You can set your handpan in any position and enjoy playing. You can either play standing or in a sitting position. Also, the drummer can play their handpan on uneven concrete.
- Sturdy. Most handpan stands are not very strong, especially the cheaper options. It could because this is still a relatively new instrument. Dii’s Elevation Handpan Stand is designed to withstand a wide range of user conditions.
• Excellent construction
• Versatile and adjustable
• Perfect for any playing surface
• This stand is quite expensive
Handpan Djembe Didgeridoo stand, Stainless Steel Handpan Djembe Didgeridoo Display, Heavy Duty (For Handpan)
There are lots of handpan stands out there. Some are great, but others may not be what anyone would want to use.
Since handpans are relatively new, most stands are still in trial. Besides, these instruments are mostly played in a sitting position.
The Djembe Didgeridoo stand is a good example of a useful handpan stand. It comes with some of the best features you can expect in such a product.
- They are designed for handpans. This stand is designed exclusively for handpans. This makes it a perfect piece of hardware for percussionists.
- Heavy duty. Are you looking for a versatile handpan stand that will work even in extreme conditions? This is the stand you should consider. The stand is designed to fit all diameters of the handpan.
- Sturdy. The tripod legs on this handpan stand are made from chrome-plated, rubber padded, double-braced tripod legs. It will hold the ground strongly as you play. You can use it on an uneven concrete floor or rough ground.
- Adjustable. Adjustability is one of the main features to consider when choosing a handpan. And the Djembe Didgeridoo stand is a perfect example of such a piece. Adjust it to any height or angle for easy playing. Also, you can fold it for easy transport and storage.
- Durable. The stand is made from stainless steel. This is a strong material that you can rely on for durability. It comes with a diameter of 24-inches.
• An incredible design
• Good for a wide range of handpan sizes
• From a reputable brand
• Easy to use and transport
If you want to play your handpan while standing, you will need a good stand. With this guide, you should be able to choose the perfect one. A good stand should be versatile and easy to use.