The Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit is a compact and affordable drum kit designed in collaboration with the legendary drummer Questlove. This kit is ideal for beginners, children, and anyone looking for a portable drum set that doesn’t compromise quality. The Pocket Kit includes everything you need to start playing immediately, including drums, cymbals, hardware, and a drum throne.
Despite its small size, the Pocket Kit delivers a big sound, with drums designed to be easy to tune and cymbals that provide a crisp, clear sound. With its eye-catching design and exceptional sound quality, the Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit is perfect for anyone who wants to start playing drums.
Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit Review
Looking for an affordable and comprehensive drum kit for kids? Look no further than the Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit, designed with musician Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson. This drum kit comes with everything your young musician needs, including drums, heads, pedals, cymbals, stands, a throne, drum key, sticks, and even drum lessons. The Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit is a high-quality, all-in-one drum kit package designed to help young drummers develop their skills and start their percussive journey early on.
- The kit includes a 12″ x 16″ Bass Drum, 10″ x 13″ Floor Tom, 6″x10″ Mounted Tom, and 5″ x 12″ Snare Drum.
- The kit’s high quality extends from the bass drum spurs to the cymbals.
- With the purchase of the kit and a valid serial number, introductory lessons are included.
- The kit includes everything needed: drumheads, hardware, pedals, cymbals, stands, throne, drumsticks, and drum key.
- The kit delivers outstanding sound quality.
- Weighing just 62 pounds, the kit is easily transportable from one point to another.
- The ride cymbal is adjustable, so you can position it away from your bass drum as you play.
- With a single-way stand, you can balance the weight of the kit perfectly in your setup and save on costs.
- The kit boasts durable hardware, making it a sturdier choice.
- It’s suitable for 4-10 year olds who want to start their musical journey.
- The kit comes with free introductory lessons and effortless assembly.
- It’s affordable for many.
- The drum heads didn’t fit well into the shells, which was disappointing.
- The cymbals didn’t meet my expectations regarding quality, but I was still satisfied overall, considering the kit’s standard price and the other accessories included in the package.
- The Ludwig/Questlove badge started peeling off after about a year, which could be improved to avoid revealing the price tag.
- The feet could have a more stable and aesthetically pleasing design.
Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit
Another alternative for drum kits for kids
The Ashthorpe Drums-S-JA-5327 is a junior-sized drum set designed for drummers aged 3 to 12. It includes a snare, two toms, a floor tom, a crash/ride cymbal, and a hi-hat, providing everything needed to start playing right out of the box. Despite its affordable price, the overall quality and build are impressive and suitable for kids and adults looking for a compact kit to test the waters of drumming.
With all the necessary accessories, such as drumsticks and a drum throne, included, this set is ready to use upon arrival. When properly set up, it doesn’t look like a toy kit and is still compact enough for kids of various ages. The all-chrome hardware and accents, as well as the sparkly finish, make it look high-quality and not cheap. Additionally, it comes in seven different color finishes, including pink and purple, to cater to different preferences.
Although the kit is a complete five-piece package, the assembly may be challenging for first-timers. However, with the help of the instruction manual, it is doable. Like most kits in this price range, the cymbal and hi-hat are small, resulting in a trebly sound that lacks sustain.
Pearl Roadshow Jr. RSJ465/C
The Pearl Roadshow Jr. drum set is a downsized version of the popular Roadshow series, designed for young drummers and those who want to save space. Despite its smaller size, it boasts the same high-quality shell material as regular Pearl drums. It’s not a toy that looks like a drum set but a real drum set that has been scaled down for kids, providing a professional feel and experience at a more kid-friendly size.
The poplar shells produce authentic vintage-style sounds with responsive heads ideal for learning techniques and dynamics. The cymbals and hi-hat are small but better than those found on similarly priced junior kits. However, if you plan on performing with this kit, you may need to upgrade to larger cymbals.
This brand specializes in crafting Junior Drum Sets that offer good value at a lower price point, making it a great option if you’re unsure if your junior drummer will continue playing long-term. Although it may not have the same level of prestige as brands like Ludwig and Pearl, its snare and toms have a good bounce and produce decent sounds.
The snare wires are located inside, which is safer for children, but you won’t be able to adjust the wire tension. As expected, the cymbals and hi-hats are small, resulting in a less full and responsive sound.
Despite this, the overall quality and compact size make it a solid starter kit for kids between 2.5 to 10 years old. Another advantage of this 5-piece kit is its relatively simple assembly process, though it may take some time for first-timers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is included in the Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit?
The kit includes drums, drumheads, hardware, pedals, cymbals, stands, a throne, drumsticks, and a drum key.
What age range is the Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit suitable for?
The kit is designed for 4-10 year olds starting their musical journey. However, it can be used by anyone who wants a compact and affordable drum kit.
Is the Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit easy to assemble?
Yes, the kit is designed for effortless assembly. It comes with all the necessary hardware and tools to get started.
What is the cymbals’ quality in the Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit?
The cymbals are of standard quality and may not meet the expectations of more advanced drummers. However, they are suitable for beginners and are included in the kit at an affordable price.
In conclusion, the Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit is a great option for young and beginner drummers looking for a compact and affordable drum set. With its high-quality construction and hardware, it provides a satisfying playing experience that is suitable for learning the basics of drumming. Its portability and easy assembly make it a convenient choice for practicing at home or on the go.
Despite minor drawbacks, such as the cymbal quality and drum head fitting, the Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit remains an excellent investment for those just starting their musical journey.