Paiste is a well-known and respected brand in the world of cymbals, and the Light Ride is one of their most popular models. The Light Ride is a versatile cymbal suitable for many different genres of music, from jazz and funk to rock and pop. With its unique sound and high-quality construction, the Paiste Light Ride is a great addition to any drummer’s setup. Whether you’re a beginner or a professional, the Paiste Light Ride is an excellent choice for those who want a cymbal that can provide a clear, articulate sound and a satisfying, full-bodied feel.
Top 3 Paiste light ride cymbal
Paiste has a versatile Light Ride cymbal. For more details, you can check out the review below.
Signature Traditionals Light Flat Ride
In the late 1960s, Paiste pioneered the development of a cymbal without a bell, resulting in the innovative Flat Ride Concept, for which international patents were granted. The distinct, controlled sound of the Flat Ride has since become a staple in jazz music and has been used by prominent band leaders in shaping modern jazz.
Due to the absence of a bell, Flat Rides are easy to control. They produce a well-defined, unobtrusive, and refined ping that remains consistent at all volumes, making them ideal for acoustic music or accompanying soloists, as the cymbal never overpowers the rest of the band.
The medium-lightweight 20-inch and 22-inch Signature Traditionals Light Flat Ride models have dark and complex qualities, but their ping offers silvery highs and clarity. They are ideal for use in quieter settings.
Paiste’s Masters, Formula 602, Signature Traditionals, and 2002 Cymbals are made in Switzerland from various bronze alloys using traditional craftsmanship that has remained unchanged for over half a century.
- Available in sizes: 20″ and 22″
- Weight: Light
- Volume: Soft
- Sound color: Dark
- Frequency range: Narrow
- Frequency mix: Rough, complex, and rich
- Easy to control
- A well-defined, unobtrusive, and refined ping that remains consistent at all volumes.
- Suitable for use in acoustic music or when accompanying soloists.
- Medium-lightweight models have dark and complex qualities, but their ping offers silvery highs and clarity.
- Ideal for use in quieter settings.
- Without a bell, it may not provide the same volume and projection as a traditional ride cymbal with a bell.
- Some people may prefer a more traditional ride cymbal with a bell.
Signature Traditionals Light Ride
The cymbal has a dark, low, slightly trashy, and sparkling sound. With a loose frequency range and complex mix, it has a soft, buttery feel that is very responsive and easy to control. It’s ideal for supporting ride patterns with quick crash accents. Additionally, it has a broad, complex, warm, smoky, and oriental tone, emphasizing volume control, dynamics, and a stick feel.
- Thin weight
- Volume: Soft to medium
- Stick sound: Balanced and woody
- Intensity: Medium lively
- Sustain: Medium
- Bell Character: Full and integrated
- Dark, broad, complex, warm, smoky, oriental, and sparkling, with special emphasis on the volume control, dynamics, and stick feel.
- Soft, buttery feel, very responsive, and controllable.
- Great for supporting ride patterns with quick crash accents.
- It may not be suitable for certain genres of music where louder and more pronounced sound is required.
- Some people prefer a more modern or brighter sound.
PST 7 Light Ride
The Paiste PST7 20″ light ride cymbal is characterized by its brightness, gentleness, airiness, and sparkle. It has a fairly narrow range and a clean mix, making it versatile enough to be used in various musical styles. The defined ping, clean wash, and clear, strong bell sound make it a great option. Additionally, it has a full and strong crash with an articulate and non-intrusive bell sound that is dynamic and agile enough for acoustic music or for playing crash ride cymbal patterns in louder musical styles.
- Feel: Quiet and soft
- Weight: Medium
- Volume: Low to medium loud
- Stick sound: Pearly and somewhat washy
- Intensity: Lively
- Sustain: Medium-long
- Bell Character: Fairly integrated
- Excellent value for money
- Produces pure and sweet tones on the crashes
- Hi-hats have a significant presence.
- Limited variety in tone colors
Whether you’re a beginner or a professional, the Paiste Light Ride is a great choice for those who want a cymbal that can provide a clear, articulate sound and a satisfying, full-bodied feel. So, choose the accessories according to your needs and budget.