The snare drum is one of the most important components of a drum set. They create that incredible backbeat that every piece of music needs.
Hence, it’s crucial to buy the right snare drum accessories if you want to get the best. And since there are so many options, this can be a bit overwhelming.
However, it should not be that hard if you know where to look.
PDP Snare Drums Best to buy in 2021
One of the main factors to consider is the brand. And in this case, PDP is one of the names you can trust.
If you know your drums, you should be aware of Drum Workshop. Drummers all over the world love this creator of high-end drums and gear.
PDP is their manufacturer for more affordable kits.
The best way to describe PDP’s snare drums is by their professional sound and ease on the pocket. DW wanted to offer top-quality features in affordable kits. Instead of mixing up their products, they started the PDP company.
Hence, it is the same company. The only difference is that many faster-using machines produce PDP drums.
But that does not mean they are any less good. You can see all the designs and better features of DW in these drums.
Most PDP snares are produced in a wide variety of choices. First, they are divided into different series with varying features. They are further subdivided into the material they are made from.
You will find the following options:
• Metal. These drums are made from black nickel over 1mm rolled steel. They also include chrome hardware.
• Birch. Birch is a great wood used in making drums. It delivers a full and wonderful sound.
• Maple. These drums are known for producing top-range sound. They are among the most expensive pieces.
• Black wax. These snares are all maple, with a hand-applied wax sealer.
• Finishes. PDP’s drums come in various finishes and chrome hardware. Each line offers a variety.
Let us look at some of the best snare drums from this company.
The PDP 20th Anniversary is a maple snare that has gone through 20 years in making. Two decades ago, PDP was not a very popular company.
And when they released this snare to celebrate their 20th anniversary, it sealed its fate among the best players on the market. It shows how far they have come and how they have risen to the top.
The first thing you will notice is a collector’ s-grade -grade hybrid lacquer finish. It is echoed by custom-finish plated and brushed hardware. What you get is one-of-a-kind looks and tone.
Also, the snares are crafted from European maple, which is known for delivering high-grade tonal value. It is an incredible recipe for endless power. This snare will be a great option for those who require creativity.
Its brushed antique bronze hoops and lugs offer excellent performance. It’s then complemented by a matte/gloss black lacquer stripe finish.
PDP’s 20’s Anniversary snare drums deliver a high-end impression both on stage and in the studio.
Its DW-inspired performance gives it is a professional appearance and performance. Here are some of the great features you get:
• MAG magnetic throw off
• Triple Flanged hoops
• True-Pitch tension rods
• Remo’s heads
• Excellent sound
• DW-inspired quality
• The factory heads are not great
PDP Concept Maple Snare drum is a real leader. We have seen many snares come and go, but this one has remained strong overall.
It is not every day that you find a solution that is acceptable to a wide range of users. It is not just the price point of this snare that makes them stand out.
You get DW-inspired quality, which is more than what you would expect here. [P1]
The PDP Concept Maple Snare is a vintage-inspired piece that carries modern features.
They are very good-looking. Above all, they sound incredible. The Ebony finish is quite interesting, which makes them stand out on the market.
DW has been an incredible company for many years. And the Concept is built by professionals for professionals.
• The Concept series is one of the best products from PDP. It stands for the highest lines of affordable drums.
• DW-inspired features. The quality and diversity of sound textures in this piece are aspects you can expect from high-end DW drums. Other features include Remo’s heads, True-Pitch tension rods, highly rated DW MAG throw-offs, 20-strand snare wires. PDP’s unique dual-turret lugs are another feature that makes this drum incredible.
However, you might not like the sound and depth of tonality. It’s not bad, only not what you might be expecting.
• High-end snare drum
• Good sounding
• Tonality is not as good as you would expect
One thing that makes Concept maple snare drums incredible is their DW-inspired construction. Every aspect of these drums is designed for great performance.
Hence, the 5.5 x 14-inch Satin Oliver snare drum is a product you will love. Whether you are looking for a matching snare or just a high-performance snare, this piece will suit you. And the best part is its price point.
The snare is designed from premium European maple, which is known for its great sound. It comes with back-cut bearing edges and heavy-duty triple-flanged hoops.
With these, you can be sure of a powerful attach and deeply musical response that can only come from DW drums.
DW features have never been more evident in PDP drums than they are in the Concept series. For instance, it features a MAG magnetic throw-off that holds a set of high-sensitivity carbon steel snares in position. They will remain tight until you finish “censoring” them.
A fine-threaded True-Pitch tension rod allows one to achieve great tuning. These are complemented by Remo’s heads and DW-inspired Dual Turret lugs that make this snare drum perform professionally.
• DW-inspired features
• High-end, affordable kit
• Excellent design
• Good-but-not-great butt-plate
Are you looking for a professional-looking snare drum at a budget? Well, consider the PDP Spectrum.
This snare drum is built from blended plies of maple and poplar. It comes finished with a great ebony touch that makes it shine bright.
A high-performance DW hardware is added to complete the set, assuring high-end performance. This also gives you a memorable onstage and complex tone. You can use this for home recording and other factors.
A 10-ply hybrid wood shell delivers speed, power, dryness, and control. They come with reduced carry weight, making them perfect for use on the road.
You will also find many DW features on this snare. Those who love DW and PDP have come to celebrate here.
The first thing you will realize is how good these drums are designed. All high-end features that make DW drums are visible.
True-Pitch tensions screws assure an incredible fine-tuning precision. When combined with the select Remo’s heads, this snare will perform in any playing style.
Generally, this is a drum you have in your kit. You will find it handy as an add-on or upgrade.
Features at a glance:
• Maple and poplar mixture offers a great cut and projection. Poplar is known for being light and assuring quickness to speak. These two tonewoods work together for good speed, dryness, and control.
• Wonderful sound. Any drummer will appreciate the punch, power, and nearfield response of this kit. It allows one to achieve natural beauty in the sound that defines this set.
• Lightweight and yet durable
• Good sounding snare
• Affordable and versatile
• Poplar is not the best wood for making drums
PDP Concept Classic snares offer a huge value in an all-maple drum. And this snare is a perfect example of top-notch performance at an affordable price.
If you need to class up your kit without breaking a bank for it, this PDP Concept Maple Classic Snare drums would be a great option. The shell is designed from select European maple. Vintage-style maple counter hoops complement it.
One thing we all love PDP drums for is their affordable quality. They are inspired by DW’s designs and features, making them quite useful.
Whether you are a beginner or an expert, there is something this snare can offer. It comes in a wide range of finishes.
The kit in this review features a Natural finish with Walnut hoops.
Features at a glance:
• DW-inspired design. PDP drums are designed and crafted with DW standards. This makes the products you would want to have in your kit. The snare offers professional performance at an affordable price.
• 6.5 x 14-inch snare drum. It is crafted with vintage-style counter hoops that make it stand out in your setup.
• It is made from select European maple. This wood is known for delivering an excellent performance. It does not only look good but sounds nice too.
• Excellent sound. A snare drum is only good as its sound, and this piece assures that.
• Durable. The Concept series carries good features from DW. Hence, we can say it’s the best among PDP drums. This snare will serve you for a long time.
• Professional construction
• Excellent sound
• The sound depth and tonality are not as beefy as most drummers would expect
The PDP Spectrum snare drum is an all-purpose wood snare bearing DW heritage. The snare is built a blend of poplar and maple woods. It comes done in an irresistible Ebony finish.
You will love the high-performance DW hardware that comes with this piece.
It delivers a memorable onstage appearance and a sophisticated tonal performance. This makes it a wonderful tool for home performance.
Features at a glance:
• 10-ply hybrid wood shell types. Think about speed, power, dryness, and control; this kit has it all. And you will get them all at a reduced carry weight, perfect for a user on the go.
• True-Pitch tension precision. Tuning a snare drum can be quite frustrating. But DW uses True-Pitch tension, which assures an excellent fine-tuning precision. The same has been used in the Spectrum snare, making it highly effective.
• Remo Heads. The drum features a clean set of select Remo heads, which makes it perfect for different playing styles. You will find it useful for all settings, from country to metal.
• A great add-on/upgrade to your current kit. This snare will give your kit a new and exciting look.
• Modern matte lacquer finish.
• Punch and power from stage performance. Use this snare for all your stage performance needs, and it will not disappoint.
• PDP-branded Remo heads for excellent performance
• Powerful tone for stage use
• Excellent design
• The factory heads may not be that good
The 6.5 x 14-inch Concept Maple snare drum – Ebony is an excellent snare for the modern drummer. It features an Ebony finish, which makes them stand out on every stage.
These drums come in a wide range of professional sounds and yet at affordable. Today’s rising-star drummers will find the drummer very useful.
Maple is an excellent wood in the world of drums. And PDP is one of the manufacturers that understand well how to use wood.
You can find these kits in the pearlescent Black with black hardware, pearlescent White with chrome hardware, Red to Black Sparkle Fade with chrome hardware, and many others.
The piece in this review features Ebony finish with Ebony finish. Every other aspect of the drum is designed for a professional performance.
Features at a glance:
• Good looking drums. It is the design of this snare drum that attracts many drummers. They are crafted with DW quality, assuring an incredible appearance on stage. Professionals build them for professionals. They have experience in playing drums and crafting snares with precise application.
• Durable. The snare is built from high-quality material – European Maple. It is durable and promises excellent sound.
• Good sounding. A snare is only as good as its sound, and this piece assures that. As a result, you get a beautifully suited sound for playing different genres.
• Great appearance
• Excellent sound
• Quality and diverse
• The butt-plate is good, but not great
Choosing a good snare drum is crucial when putting together an ideal drum kit. Pick any PDP snare, and you will have that and much more. If you cannot afford DW’s drums, these pieces will be an excellent option. They offer professional quality at an affordable price.