Are you looking for the best soundproofing curtains for your room? Or perhaps you are wondering if they work.
Either way, you have come to the right place.
Drummers find it hard to practice in a place where many people live. This is mainly because drums are generally loud, especially acoustic ones.
And yet, practice is a vital part of growing one’s skills.
There are many different ways of reducing noise disturbance for drummers. Among them is the use of soundproof curtains.
These are products you will find in studios and other areas that require less noise.
Best Soundproof Curtains to buy in 2022
However, this does not mean you just buy them because you have heard that they work. It’s important to try out a few products before settling on the best one.
In this guide, I will be making that task easier for you.
Do noise blocking curtains really work?
First of all, soundproofing is a more important accessory today than ever. It is necessary for those who want to play their drums fully without disturbing other people.
I have been playing drums for more than 20 years now. Hence, I understand how stressful this can be.
Soundproof curtains seem like the easiest and most affordable way to keep the outside noise out of your studio. It can also keep the inside sound from getting out.
Marketers term them as noise-reducing window drapes. They will promise you endless relaxation and tell of how they will help you make better music.
So, do they work?
Many companies use the term “soundproof to sell their products. But I find that to be further than the truth.
The truth is, it’s virtually impossible to soundproof a room without changing some things on its physical infrastructure.
Many studios apply a method called “a room within a room” to get 100% silence in their rooms.
Despite that truth, these curtains can still be of great value for your bedroom. You can use them to deaden the noise coming from outside and make your room less reverberant.
Also, some musicians use these accessories in their practice areas to keep themselves safe from distractive noises.
Do thick curtains block out noise?
Many companies advertise their products as soundproof, luring many people to buy them. And when they don’t work, it becomes hard to trust such products again.
Well, thick curtains are assumed to keep outside noise from entering a room. Whereas they are quite interesting attractive, it would be best to research whether they work or not.
I have used different methods to keep my room sound-free. When it comes to thick curtains, I think they are just that – thick curtains.
They are not really the ideal solution to keep sound out.
However, that does not mean they are completely useless. It all depends on where the room is located.
If you live in an area with minimal noise interruption, you should find the curtains very useful. But if you are in a noisy environment, I would advise you to look for a different solution.
Luckily, there are many things you can do to achieve that silence you require. It all depends on how much noise you want to reduce and why.
Are there soundproof curtains?
Before you can tell whether there are soundproof curtains or not, understand the meaning of “soundproof.”
This word means blocking out all the sound and allowing no sound you leave a room.
As stated above, making a room completely soundproof requires more than just a blocking curtain. You will need to undertake extensive physical changes to the room.
Many companies will tell you their products are soundproof. But then, it’s only a way to sell the product.
What you will find is more of a noise-reduction solution. I have seen many people buy these curtains with the aim of making their rooms completely noise-free.
And yes, there are “soundproof” curtains. Or at least that is what the manufacturers say.
As drummers, we look for ways to reduce the amount of transmitted noise not to disturb our neighbors.
Many of us want to use the cheapest means possible. Something like an isolation booth would not be a bad idea, but it’s very costly.
And that is why we would turn to more affordable solutions.
One of the best ways to do this is by using soundproof curtains.
You will find a wide range of these products out there. They come in different sizes and materials for specific uses.
Do blackout curtains block out noise?
Perhaps the best way to describe soundproof curtains is by calling them noise-reducing curtains. Apart from there, there is another type known as blackout curtains.
If you are wondering whether they block out noise, you are not alone. Yes and no.
Let’s look at two important teams here:
- Soundproof. This term means blocking noise from getting in or out of a room. It helps drummers practice without making noise for their neighbours. Therefore, ‘soundproof’ has everything to do with sound.
- Blackout. When there is no power and light in your area, you call it a blackout. That means blackout curtains have nothing to do with sound but with light.
Blackout curtains are used for those who want to keep light from escaping into and out of their rooms. That does not mean noise will not come in.
If you are looking for a way to keep the noise low or out, buy noise-reducing curtains. You will find them labeled with soundproofing features.
Combine blackout curtains with noise-reducing curtains, and you have a quiet room. You can turn it into a home studio.
Luckily, there is a wide range of soundproof curtains on the market. You should easily find something that meets your needs.
Soundproof Curtains: Do They Really Work?
Finding the best soundproof curtains for the home studio could be the best way to keep things low-key. And there is a wide range of these products advertised everywhere.
But before you invest, it would be good to find out if they work.
I like experimenting with different options when looking for a specific solution. I bought my first soundproof curtain years ago when I moved into an apartment.
So, do they really work?
Yes and no.
Soundproof curtains come in various forms. Essentially, they are just like regular curtains, only with more mass.
When trying to soundproof any place, a rule of thumb is to use more mass of the material between you and the sound source. This should give you different levels of quietness.
If someone was playing drums in a room near a window, they would make a pretty loud noise. But if you replaced the window with a brick wall, the sound would be lower.
A brick wall has more mass and density than the glass on your window.
Therefore, you would require a denser soundproof curtain to block out noise completely. Windows and does ‘leak’ a lot of noise into and from your room, even if you have used soundproof walls.
In this case, soundproof curtains would be very effective.
But not when used exclusively for the entire room.
Types of Soundproof Curtains
There are several options for soundproof curtains geared to different needs. Here are the most common options:
• Home soundproof curtains
Home soundproof or insulation solutions are window curtains we use at home to keep street noise out. They keep our homes quieter.
Insulation curtains also block much of the outside light.
They are heavy curtains, not specifically designed for drummers. But they are the most affordable options for many.
You can use them to block out any noise that could escape through the windows. You may want to find one for your doors too.
• Audio insulation sheets
As the name suggests, these products are not designed like your average curtains. They often come with grommets sewn in them, and hence, hung the same way.
They are specifically designed to reduce noise. That means they are generally heavier and have more mass.
As you may have already guessed, they are more expensive than home insulation curtains.
Also, these curtains are an excellent solution for blackout needs. Their increased density and thickness allow them to block out as much sound as possible.
In a nutshell, they are more effective sound deadening solutions.
• Industrial blankets
Perhaps this is not the best definition of soundproof curtains. However, industrial blankets are quite a practical and super cost-effective sound-reduction solution.
They are designed for use as protective sheets when moving or industrial noise-reduction methods. They vary in thickness and don’t come with grommets.
If you are really tight on budget, this alternative should be great. They work well are regular curtains too.
But you will need to be creative on mounting.
Top 5 Best Soundproof Curtains
Nicetown Noise-Reducing curtains are an excellent solution for those who want to take their drums. They are stylish and yet very effective in keeping the noise out.
They come with blackout drapes to protect your instrument from UV rays.
Also, they come in a wide selection of colors and pocket options. Hence, you can be sure to get something that meets your needs.
• A wide variety
• They only reduce some noise
Here is another affordable noise reduction solution. They are initially designed for use as room dividers and packing sheets.
But a pair of them means increased density and hence less noise in or out of your room.
• Extremely cheap
• Easy to install
• They come in large sizes
• They will not serve you for long
• Less stylish
Consider these single panel sound barrier sheets for your noise reduction needs. They feature two sheets sewn together and filled with heavy insulation material.
They can absorb as much noise as possible.
Hang them on your windows, doors, or walls, and you are good to go.
• Excellent noise reduction
• Different colors
• Easy hanging
This affordable blackout curtain from BGment should be a perfect solution. They are thermally insulated, which means they balance the temperature in your room and reduce energy consumption.
The curtains come in 24 different colors and 11 sizes. You should find your solution.
• Ideal for home use
• They will not reduce a lot of noise
These soundproof and blackout curtains should be a perfect upgrade to your noise reduction needs. They feature a 3-layer design that keeps out harmful UV lights.
Remove the liner using the hook-and-loop fastener, and you have a soundproof curtain.
• Effective soundproofing
• Built-in thermal insulation
• Three-layer design
• Reduces very little noise
Benefits of Sound Reducing Curtains
Here are five benefits of sound reducing curtains:
- Soundproofing. The curtains will not keep the room completely noise-free, but they do a recommendable job. You can enjoy playing drums without disturbing your neighbors very much. Besides, use them for doors and windows in insulated rooms, and you have a tranquil place.
- Some are also blackout curtains. Harmful UV rays leaking into your home can cause damage to your instruments. These curtains are designed with heavy material to block such rays. It is like killing two birds with one stone.
- You can get some insulation benefits. The curtains can block heat during summer and cold during winter, keeping the room temperature under control. That means you won’t need to switch on your AC. Studies have shown that 10-25% of thermal loss in homes from windows and doors.
- More privacy in your home. Soundproof curtains are often double, just like blackout curtains. If you have one on your bedroom window or door, you get to enjoy more privacy in a quieter place. It is an added advantage to your home as you won’t have to deal with noise from the TV in the sitting room.
- Quick and easy installation. Soundproof curtains are not complicated. They are easy to install in your home and to start enjoying their benefits immediately.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Soundproof Curtains
Advantage of soundproof curtains include:
- They shield you from light intrusion. If you have kept light-sensitive items in your room, these curtains can come in quite handy. You create a blackout effect for everything and everyone you love.
- Extra insulation layers. Some of the curtains are fitted with thermal controllers. This means they can help you keep an optimal temperature in your room. You can spend less on power consumption if you have the right curtain. Heat conservation is one of the best features.
- Straightforward installation. Soundproof curtains are designed for specific purposes. Hence, they are quick and easy to install. Simply hang them on your door or window, and you are good to go.
- Expert engineers design many to keep out as much sound as possible.
- Affordable. Soundproof curtains offer the most affordable soundproofing solution.
• They cannot make your room completely soundproof. Whereas many companies market them as ‘soundproof,’ these curtains might end up disappointing you. They don’t offer an effective noise-reducing solution.
• Heavy. You will have to deal with the bulkiness of these curtains.
• They are not very effective for drummers. If you are a drummer looking to create a home recording studio, these curtains will not be of much help.
Do soundproof curtains work? And should you get them? These are some of the questions many people ask themselves.
Well, for home use, minimal noise-reduction needs, these curtains are the best option. They are not expensive.
But for serious soundproofing for recording studios, you will have to invest more in changing the infrastructure of your room.